Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lohas Cafe 樂活複合式餐飲 review

Lohas Cafe 樂活複合式餐飲 (Taiwanese)

Location: First Markham Place, 3235 Hwy 7 East, Unit 19-20
(it's right next to Ding Tai Fung, the Shanghai food place)
Phone: (905) 604 6669

Fried squid ball 炸花枝丸 (5 balls) $3.99
Yummy! It taste so good. It's crispy and salty. I wanted to order one more but decided to try other dishes.

BBQ sausage 台式香腸 (6 pieces) $3.99
It's good but nothing really special, I rather have more fried squid balls haha.

Sticky-rice cake with peanut powder 米血糕 (9 pieces) $4.49
I asked the server what exactly is it, he said its sticky rice soaked in pig blood 豬紅, then steam it. I never really like pig blood or sticky rice but I guess I will give it a try.. the sauce is a bit spicy and the texture of the rice cake is chewy and sticky. I didn't like it, but I wouldn't say it taste bad, it's just not my dish =/

Popcorn chicken with rice 鹽酥雞飯 $6.99
- It comes with a little side dish (pickled vegetables and corn).
- The portion of the popcorn chicken is really good! They have a larger portion of popcorn chicken compare to the other place. See the picture, there is so many pieces of popcorn chicken.
- The popcorn chicken pieces are big, you can actually see the chicken meat inside. (I remember I went to the OTHER Taiwanese place one time, and the popcorn chicken are so small, you can't even see the meat, its purely just the crispy thing without chicken in it (炸粉)!)
- It taste good! It comes out hot, crispy, and the saltiness is just right!! YUMMY =)

Crispy pork steak with rice 香酥豬排飯 $6.49
- The pork is pretty good, it's not dry =)
- However, the pork is a bit under seasoned. We have to ask them to add a bit pepper salt.
- It taste good! But I still prefer the popcorn chicken rice.
- There's diced pork, "red rice" mixed with the rice. It taste good! Not just some plain rice..

If you order a meal (for example the popcorn chicken rice),
you can add $2 to get a drink (Tea or Milk tea 冰茶/奶茶):
Passion Fruit tea (cold) 百香果冰茶 (originally $3.49 but if you order a meal, you just need to add $2 for it)
It's better than last time! Last time it was tasteless (probably too much ice last time). But this time I can actually taste the passion fruit! yumm!

Red bean milk tea (cold) 紅豆沙奶茶 (+$2)
It taste funny haha NOT BAD, just funny.. But DB said it taste good and he likes it. Well... guess it's not my cup of tea!

Environment:
It's a small tea place, pretty comfortable and relaxing sitting there.

Service:
- There's a bartender at the bar mixing drinks (he also serve customer), and this other server but she's always at the kitchen busying. So you have to be patient.
- They are friendly! They will patiently explain the dishes to you no matter how busy they are.

Food:
- The prices are reasonable. Snacks are around $3.99-4.99, main dishes are around $6-7.
- LOVE the fried squid ball! Must try! OH Also the popcorn chicken rice =)
- The food came pretty fast =)

Grace

10 comments:

  1. Hey, Grace, I am getting indigestion..too much good food for my little stomach =D

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, most of the eateries at First Markham's.

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they speak Mandarin there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 乜嘢叫復合式餐廳? 螢火星又係咁叫, 我問過佢地, 但冇人答到我.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they speak mandarin there, but they understand english and cantonese gah.
      唔知係咩意思啊, 哈哈.

      Grace

      Delete
    2. 所謂復合式餐廳=中西合璧甚至中西日韓大兜亂乜都有啲。只是懶有形的叫法。

      Delete
    3. 咁叫復合式? 唔知比佢嚇死.

      Delete
  5. I was a long time returning customer of this café until recently... they pissed me off with their ridiculous $0.50 charge for providing additional tea cup. I ordered a mix fruit tea. It came in a kettle. Not bad I luv the tea... What pisses me off is that when I asked for an extra cup to share the tea with one of my friends...they told me I had to pay $0.50 for the additional tea cup!!! This is ridiculous!! What happen to customer service...? They incur no additional cost for providing the extra cup... why irritate customers with this non sense? I can understand if they charge for the refill but not additional empty cup!. I suggest they change their store policy about charging customers extra for additional cups!!!! Because the additional charge will not make an impact to their bottom line and will only drive customers away.

    ReplyDelete